airplane-jet-aviation-aircraft-large-1.jpg

GDIT

Moving Forward with General Dynamics Information Technology

why we did it

THe Challenge

My role: Lead UX and UI designer, I worked closely with the team at GDIT to gather their ideas, hear their challenges and interpret them for the new site.
 
Tools: Axure, Sketch

GDIT is one section of General Dynamics, but boasts 6 core capabilities of its' own. This means that we worked with A LOT of different people to create this product.

The team had working with an outdated design system, which had forced several of the capability groups to go rogue and create their own offshoot sites. Our challenge was to bring all of the capabilities back together under one GDIT family in a way that provided flexibility for the individual needs of each group.

 

Axure Wireframe Prototype

A large part of our planning phase focused around how to organize the mass of content that existed today, identify the content that still needed to be created and create a clear way to display that information to users.

 

before & after

Before

After

a look at the design

 
Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 6.47.10 PM.png

reminder to self: a good idea can be distracting

Sometimes you brilliantly solve problems which you have actually invented and inconveniently distract yourself from the true task at hand. My team and I came up with an incredible dashboard. We called it The Command Center, and we were very proud of ourselves.

The Command Center would help information gatherers tag information into their dashboards (because there is a lot of it within GDIT). This would make it easier for them to share these tagged items internally with higher, decision making figure which ideally would create more leads for GDIT. GDIT would be able to suggest other relevant programs based on the content that was tagged by the user. They could assigned a point of contact to the user and even allow them to contact straight from the dashboard.

It was a great idea!...but it was so complex we didn't know how we would make it happen within the budget. And...as the project continued it also became clear that the hardest problems we had to solve was going to be organizing the content that exists on the site, and getting all the teams within the different capabilities to update their content. Our brilliant idea distracted us from the true challenges at hand. So, we refocused and learned something valuable in the process.

View gdit.com live today.